Wroclaw, the capital of Lower Silesia, is one of the oldest and most beautiful cities in Poland. Situated at the foot of the Sudetes, on the Oder river, cut by numerous tributaries and channels, is an exceptional city of 12 islands and 112 bridges. Because of its riverside location and a large number of bridges and footbridges over the waters, it is called ‘Polish Venice’.
We’d like to invite you for a virtual travel around Wroclaw with the help of the menu on the left side.
It is the greatest complex of churches in Wroclaw and the seat
of the archdiocese. The main building is a Gothic St. John the
Baptist's cathedral. It is a monumental, three-aisle and two-tower
basilica. You can take an elevator in the northern tower to
marvel at the view over the city. Other monuments of Ostrow
are two-storey Gothic Holy Cross church and St. Bartholomew's
church, Romanesque and Gothic St. Idzi's and St. Martin's churches
and a chapter house.
||The market, the City Hall
The market in Wroclaw is one of the biggest and most beautiful
in Poland. It is surrounded with historic tenements. The most
valuable historic houses have been preserved within the western
frontage. The most magnificent monument of the market is the
City Hall - a pearl of Gothic and Renaissance architecture.
It is presumably the most beautiful monument of Gothic middle-class
art in Poland.
The dominating accent in the Old Town is a baroque building
of Wroclaw University, whose 171 metres' long facade faces the
Oder river. Its architectural shape, enriched with a wonderful
sculptural and painting decor, is considered one of the most
valuable monuments of the Baroque in Poland and Europe.
||Tenements 'Jas' and 'Malgosia'
The houses of altarists, the last ones
preserved from among the ring of buildings surrounding the cemetery
around St. Elisabeth's church, originate from the fourteenth century.
More Gothic features have been preserved in the three-storey tenement
'Jas'. The higher, four-storey 'Malgosia' has a Baroque facade dating
back from the eighteenth century. An inscription on the Baroque gate
(1728) "Mors lanua Vitae" ("Death the Gateway to Life")
was to remind that it was an entrance to the cemetery. The tenements
house a café and the seat of the Society of Wroclaw Lovers.
||The Panorama of the Battle of Raclawice
It is a monumental (120 x 15 m) painting by Wojciech Kossak
and Jan Styka. The Panorama was painted in Lvov between 1893
and 1894 to celebrate the hundredth anniversary of Kosciuszko
insurrection. On 9th April 1944 the painting was badly damaged
as a result of air bombing. It was therefore wound on a roller
and placed in the monastery of Bernardines. In July 1946 the
Soviet authorities handed over the painting to the Poles. For
40 years it was kept in warehouses. The opening of the Panorama
didn't take place until 14th June 1985. It is one of the biggest
panorama paintings in the world.
||The City Arsenal
It is also called Mikolajski Arsenal.
The Gothic building, which was to serve as a granary, was built
in 1459 by the west-north defensive walls. From the beginning
it represented a type of simple, uncomplicated architecture
designed for strictly practical purposes. It was converted into
the arsenal in the sixteenth century and that is the period
of time for which its northern wing is dated. It is a unique
building in European architecture. Its eastern and northern
wings house a division of the Archaeological Museum.
||The People's Hall
A brilliant work of constructivism, originating from the beginning
of the twentieth century. It is surrounded with a wide recreational
area. One of the most beautiful parks in Wroclaw - Szczytnicki
Park - spreads out north of the Hall.
One of the biggest parks in Wroclaw. It is a scenic park with plenty of great compositional and dendrological values. It is one of the first parks in Europe that was arranged in the English style. You will find there the Japanese Garden.
||The Japanese Garden
The Japanese Garden in Szczytnicki Park in Wroclaw was founded
in 1913 on the occasion of the Centenary Exhibition as a part
of the Garden Art Exhibition.
||The zoological garden
One of the oldest and most interesting Polish zoological gardens
with numerous fauna species. It is an ideal place to go for
||The botanical garden
It was founded between 1811 and 1812 in the place of the former
municipal fortification. More than 7000 species of plants from
different parts of the world are grown there. Particularly interesting
are the collections in the alpine garden, palm and cactus houses,
aquariums, pools and on the pond. Moreover, you can see there
some old fossils. The park comprises a beech forest complex
and a collection of Japanese, Chinese and North-American trees